Passport FAQ

What is the difference between a U.S. Passport book and a U.S. Passport card? 

  • The U.S. passport book is accepted for land, sea and air travel 
  • The U.S. Passport card is accepted only for land and sea travel to a few select countries 

More information can be found by using the following link to the U.S. Department of State site 

What is acceptable proof of citizenship? 

For a complete list of acceptable documents, please use the following link to the U.S. Department of State site: 

Where can I obtain a certified copy of my birth certificate? 

If born in Georgia  

  1. In person – visit the Vital Records/Health Department in your area.  In Athens, this would be the Clarke County Health Department/Vital Records located at 345 North Harris Street, Athens, GA 30601 
  1. Online – by using the following link to the Georgia Department of Public Health site: 

If born outside of Georgia 

Contact the Vital Records/Health department in your birth state/county. 


How long will it take to receive my passport after the application is submitted? 

Current processing times can be found by using the following link to the U.S. Department of State site 

Am I able to get my passport sooner than the Expedited service delivery expectancy? 

If you are traveling within 14 days or if you need a passport for a foreign visa, you will need to contact the U.S. Department of State at 1-877-484-2778 for an appointment.  Appointments are very limited at this time and given only to life or death emergency situations 

How can I track the status of my application? 

For information on the status of your application, please use the following link to the U.S. Department of State site: