About Quarters A
This building is a two-story, wood-frame, single-family dwelling with a steeply pitched copper hipped roof. The building’s wrap-around porch and roof are indicators of Queen Anne influence, while the building’s Classical pilasters and symmetrical composition are elements of Colonial Revival influence. The exterior walls have been covered in stucco. The primary facade has a one-story, five-bay, hipped-roof wood porch with thin, square wood columns, a balustrade, a central wood pediment, and a screened-in eastern bay. A projecting bay contains the house’s central entrance, which consists of a wood paneled double door, a segmental arched leaded-glass transom, and sidelights. This entrance also has an elaborate bull’s-eye surround that may have been a reused element from an antebellum house. The second floor of the primary facade features three pairs of two-over-two windows and a gabled central roof dormer with a louvered Palladian window. Delicate wood double pilasters accentuate the corners of the primary facade.er portions of the east and west elevations. A three-sided twostory bay sits at the rear of the east elevation, while the rear elevation has a one-story, hippedroof section on its east corner that is flanked on the west by a small porch and a shed-roofed addition. The main roof has brick chimneys on its east and west faces. Most of the windows have two-over-two wood sashes, but there are a few one-over-one wood windows on the first floor. Storm windows and a detached garage were added in 1976, while the current copper standing seam roof dates from 1983.
This house was originally known as Hill Crest and was built by Lamar and Ann Olivia Newton Cobb, prominent citizens of Athens, Georgia. Lamar Cobb was the son of former Georgia governor General Howell Cobb, while Mrs. Cobb was the charter president of the Athens Garden Club. Mrs. Cobb negotiated with the University of Georgia to purchase this 9.55-acre site in 1907. The house was finished in 1908 and served as the Cobb residence until it was sold to the University of Georgia for $14,000 at the time of Mrs. Cobb’s death in 1930. The university’s plans to use the land for expansion were disrupted by the Great Depression, but the house served as a dormitory for the Coordinate College of the University of Georgia. The building was sold to the United States Navy in 1953, and in 1954 it was renovated with new wiring and HVAC, along with a new stucco finish over the original wood siding. Since then, it has been used as the Commanding Officer’s Quarters for the Navy Supply Corps School. The house was airconditioned in 1965, and a new copper roof was installed in 1983. Minor repair work has been completed at Quarters A over the past few years, including painting, driveway patching, and minor maintenance repairs. In 2002, storm windows and crawl space sanitary piping was replaced.
The house is a good example of early twentieth-century housing and combines elements of the popular Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. The house is historically significant for its associations with the prominent Cobb Family and for its connections with the State Normal School and the Coordinate College of the University of Georgia. Quarters A was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1987, as an example of Queen Anne and Colonial Revival architecture and for its historic associations with the Cobb family and the State Normal School.
This flexible space is an open canvas that can meet the needs of your event. For a tour of the space, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All of our pricing is listed on our Usage Fees page.